Texas Toast Sloppy is a delicious and hearty sandwich that combines two classic American dishes, sloppy joes, and Texas toast. It is a perfect meal for a quick lunch or dinner, and it is also a great dish to serve at a party or a gathering.
Remember It Later
This recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!Pin
To make Texas Toast Sloppy, you will need ground beef, onion, green bell pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and, of course, Texas toast.
To start, cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Add the onion and green bell pepper, and cook until the vegetables are soft. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
Next, add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and mustard powder to the skillet, and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sloppy joe mixture is simmering, toast the Texas toast according to the package instructions. Once the toast is ready, spoon the sloppy joe mixture onto one slice of the Texas toast, and place another slice of toast on top.
Serve the Texas Toast Sloppy immediately, while it is still warm and the toast is crispy. You can also garnish it with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or sliced jalapenos, depending on your taste preferences.
Texas Toast Sloppy is a satisfying and flavorful sandwich that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. It is easy to make, and you can customize it to suit your taste preferences by adjusting the amount of spices and seasonings. Give it a try and enjoy this tasty Texan twist on a classic sloppy joe sandwich.
What Goes with Sloppy Joes?
Sloppy Joes are a classic American dish that is loved by many. They are a perfect meal for a casual lunch or dinner and are often served with a variety of side dishes. Here are some ideas for what to serve with Sloppy Joes:
- French fries: This classic side dish pairs perfectly with Sloppy Joes. You can either make your own fries or serve frozen fries that are baked or fried.
- Coleslaw: The crunchy texture and tangy flavor of coleslaw complement the richness of Sloppy Joes. You can make your own coleslaw with cabbage, carrots, and a creamy dressing, or use a store-bought coleslaw mix.
- Potato chips: If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish, potato chips are a great option. They add a salty crunch to the meal and are a favorite among both kids and adults.
- Baked beans: This classic side dish is a perfect complement to Sloppy Joes. The sweetness of the beans pairs well with the tanginess of the Sloppy Joes.
- Corn on the cob: Grilled or boiled corn on the cob is a great summer side dish that pairs well with Sloppy Joes. The sweetness of the corn balances out the rich flavors of the Sloppy Joes.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing is a great way to add some fresh and healthy greens to your meal.
- Sweet potato fries: For a healthier twist on classic French fries, try serving sweet potato fries. They are a great source of vitamins and minerals and add a sweet and savory flavor to the meal.
These are just a few ideas for what to serve with Sloppy Joes. Feel free to experiment with different side dishes to find your perfect pairing!
Tips for the Best Texas Toast Sloppy Joes?
If you’re looking to make the best Texas Toast Sloppy Joes, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Use high-quality ingredients: Using fresh, high-quality ingredients will make a big difference in the flavor of your Sloppy Joes. Choose lean ground beef, fresh vegetables, and high-quality bread for the best results.
- Brown the beef properly: When browning the ground beef, be sure to break it up into small pieces so it cooks evenly. Drain off any excess fat to prevent your Sloppy Joes from becoming greasy.
- Let the mixture simmer: Letting the Sloppy Joe mixture simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes allows the flavors to blend together and the sauce to thicken. This will result in a richer, more flavorful sauce.
- Toast the Texas toast: Toasting the Texas toast in butter until it’s crispy and golden brown will add a delicious crunch and buttery flavor to your Sloppy Joes.
- Customize with toppings: Don’t be afraid to customize your Texas Toast Sloppy Joes with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, diced onions, pickles, or jalapenos.
- Serve immediately: Serve your Texas Toast Sloppy Joes immediately while they’re still hot and the bread is crispy. This will ensure the best texture and flavor.
By following these tips, you can make delicious and flavorful Texas Toast Sloppy Joes that are sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
TEXAS TOAST SLOPPY
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 slices Texas toast
Butter, for toasting the Texas toast
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic to the skillet, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet, and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sloppy joe mixture is simmering, toast the Texas toast in a toaster or on a griddle. Spread butter on both sides of each slice of Texas toast.
- Once the Texas toast is toasted and the sloppy joe mixture is hot and thickened, spoon the mixture on top of the Texas toast slices.
- Serve hot and enjoy!