This Slow Cooker Thick & Chunky Beef Stew will make you feel like the queen at a medieval feast. Slow cooking is the only way to craft a proper stew with hearty and healthy ingredients. Once steeped in their natural juices, these meats and veggies will leave your household beyond stuffed and satisfied…
Now that we’re in the heart of the colder months, curling up to a belly-warming bowl of stew sounds absolutely heavenly. And honestly, nothing beats this incredible slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew! Tender, juicy beef compliments warm, decadent potatoes and bathes in an indulgent broth that simply satisfies. Our comforting stew fills you up and soothes the soul. It makes the perfect weeknight recipe to throw together in a moment’s notice, and hits the spot on a chilly night.
[ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 pound lean chuck beef, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour, (non-grain based flour for the Whole30 plan)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into slices
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
- 1/2 cup shelled snap peas
- 2 medium potatoes of any variety, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine, optional beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped flat parsley, (optional for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional, but helps to thicken up the stew)
- Coat the beef with the flour.
- Over medium heat, in a skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the beef then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients, except parsley, to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or when beef is very tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Get Your E-book Now