This Whole30 and Paleo meatloaf are packed with classic flavors and topped with Whole30 ketchup sweetened with dates! It’s the ultimate cozy comfort food that everyone will love. Grain free, dairy free, no added sugar…
Ingredients [ For 8 to 9 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 1h15 minutes ]
For The Meatloaf
- 2 lbs 85% lean grass fed ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp Whole30 ketchup see recipe above
- 1 small onion or half medium one minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp ghee for cooking onion and garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mustard check label for Whole30 compliance
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cups Whole30 ketchup on top of the loaf
- Chopped parsley for garnish
For The Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Medjool dates pitted, soaked in hot water to soften, and drained (use 1/4 cup if you want it less sweet)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 tbsp water in addition to soaking the dates
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper for spice
Prepare The Meatloaf
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium skillet, sauté the onions in the 2 Tbsp ghee (or other cooking fat) until soft, add the garlic, sprinkle with a tiny bit of sea salt and continue to cook, stirring, for about one minute, then remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, almond flour, 3 Tbsp ketchup, cooked onion and garlic with ghee, salt, mustard, Italian seasoning and black pepper.
Mix with your hands until well incorporated but try not to over-mix, since this will toughen the meat.
Transfer the meat mixture to a 9 x 5 loaf pan (or 8.5 x 4.5) and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove and spread 1/4-1/3 cup of the ketchup over the top of the loaf, return to oven and continue to bake for 40-45 more minutes until center is cooked (an internal temp of 160 degrees F)
Allow the loaf to rest for 10 minutes or so, then slice and serve, garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Prepare The Ketchup First
In a food processor or high-speed blender, process/blend all ingredients on high speed until pureed, scraping the sides to incorporate all ingredients evenly.
Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator until ready to use, leftovers can be refrigerated for 1-2 weeks.