Cream cheese squares are one of my favorite desserts. They’re simple to make, and you can adapt the recipe. Plus, they always seem to impress people. So what are cream cheese squares? They’re a cheesecake-brownie hybrid. The base is a fudgy brownie, and the topping is a creamy cheesecake layer. I like to add some chocolate chips to the brownie batter for an extra-chocolatey flavor.
The best part is that this recipe is straightforward to follow. I’ve included all the steps and guidelines to make them perfect every time.
What Ingredients Do You Have Recipes?
To make these Cream Cheese Squares, you’ll need the following: -1 cup of flour
-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-3/4 cup of sugar
-3/4 cup of butter, melted
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix the sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients until well combined—press half of the dough into an 8×8-inch baking dish. Spread the cream cheese evenly over the top and then top with the remaining dough—Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool, and then cut into squares.
Step-by-Step Instructions For Easy Strawberry Cream Cheese Squares
Cream cheese squares are one of my all-time favorite desserts. They’re not too sweet, but they’re still really satisfying.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to make them:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix 2 cups of flour, one teaspoon of baking powder, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, and two eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
- Spread the dough into a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely before frosting them with cream cheese. 7. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks Here are a few tips and tricks that’ll help you make the best Cream Cheese Squares recipe:
- Use a baking dish that’s about 9×13 inches in size.
- Ensure your oven is preheated to 350 degrees before cooking.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together until they’re nice and smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the dough, then roll it into a log. 5. Cut the log into 12 even slices, then place them in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until they’re golden brown and crispy on the edges. 7. Allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions Easy Strawberry Cream Cheese Squares
Many people have asked me about this recipe, so I’d answer some of the most common questions here.
First of all, what do you need to make Cream Cheese Squares? You’ll need cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, and baking powder. You’ll also need a little butter, some brown sugar, and some cinnamon.
Second question: Can I use a different type of flour? You can use any flour for this recipe—all-purpose, pastry, or even whole wheat.
Third question: Can I use a different type of sugar? You can use either granulated sugar or brown sugar in this recipe.
Fourth question: What if I don’t have eggs? If you don’t have eggs, you can substitute one mashed banana for each egg called for in the recipe.
And finally, the most critical question: Can I make these ahead of time? Yes! You can either bake them and then freeze them for later or freeze the dough itself and then bake them when you’re ready.
Easy Cream Cheese Squares
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
- FOR THE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature.
1/2 cup sour cream, I used light sour cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 heaping cup of chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat the bottom and sides of a 13″ x 9″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric hand mixer to blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and ½ cup white sugar. Mix for about 3 minutes until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan pan. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden at the edges. If using a metal pan, baking time will be near the lower end of the range. Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing crust.
- Meanwhile, use a hand or stand mixer to cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix just until combined and creamy. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to fold in the flour and then the strawberries.
- Pour cheesecake filling over warm crust and smooth out evenly. Return to oven for an additional 30 to 35 minutes until just getting lightly golden brown around the edges and the center doesn’t jiggle when you shake the pan.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for an hour then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.