Hey, friends! It’s been a while since I’ve shared a good recipe with you all, but I’m excited to announce that I’ve got a delicious one for you today. Coconut Cream Pie! This is one of my all-time favorites, and it’s surprisingly easy to make.
What Is a Coconut Cream Pie?
Coconut Cream Pie is one of my favorite pies. It’s a classic dessert that never goes out of style. But what, exactly, is Coconut Cream Pie? I’m glad you asked. Coconut Cream Pie is made with a coconut-flavored custard or cream filling and a pastry crust. It can also be topped with whipped cream, toasted coconut, or both. There are many recipes for Coconut Cream Pie, but this is the one I always use. It’s simple and delicious, and I know it will turn out every time.
What Do You Need to Make a Coconut Cream Pie?
Coconut Cream Pie is one of my all-time favorite desserts. But I have to admit, and I was a little intimidated by it at first. There are so many ingredients, and it seems like it would be hard to get everything just right. But after doing some research, I discovered it’s not as hard as I thought. You need only a few essential ingredients to make a perfect Coconut Cream Pie. Here they are:
For the crust: 1 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, six tablespoons of butter (or vegan butter), three tablespoons of sugar, two tablespoons of cold water
For the filling: 1 can (14 oz) of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, two tablespoons of cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the topping: 1 cup of whipped cream (or vegan whipped topping), two tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract Cooking Instruments & Cooking Time:
What Do You Need and How Long Does It Take to Make a Coconut Cream Pie?
To make a Coconut Cream Pie, you’ll need some basic cooking instruments: a saucepan, a spoon, a bowl, an oven, and an oven tray. And, of course, you’ll need the ingredients for the recipe.
The cooking time for the Coconut Cream Pie is about an hour. But it’s pretty low maintenance, so you can do other things while in the oven. I usually put it in and then go for a walk or do some housework.
How to Make the Coconut Cream Pie: Step-by-Step Guide to Make the Perfect Coconut Cream Pie
Let’s get started on this delicious recipe.
Here are the steps you need to follow to make the perfect Coconut Cream Pie.
- Start by gathering all your ingredients. You’ll need sugar, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, salt, milk, egg yolks, butter, cream of coconut, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat over medium heat until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg yolks. Add butter, cream of coconut, and vanilla extract. Mix well and pour into pie crust.
- Chill for several hours or overnight before serving. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks: Some Extra Tips and Tricks to Make the Best Coconut Cream Pie Ever
Many people have asked me for my Coconut Cream Pie recipe, and I’m happy to share it with them. But before I do, I want to share tips and tricks to help you make the best Coconut Cream Pie ever.
First of all, make sure you use good-quality coconut milk. I prefer Aroy-D or Chaokoh. And if you can find coconut cream, that’s even better. Second, don’t overmix the ingredients—you don’t want a tough crust. Mix just enough to get everything combined. Third, don’t overbake the pie. The filling should be slightly wobbly when you take it out of the oven. Fourth, let the pie cool completely before serving. This is important, or the filling will be runny. And finally, enjoy!
Coconut Cream Pie is one of my favorite dishes to make. I love the taste of the coconut and the cream together. It’s a straightforward recipe to follow, and I know you will also love it.
Easy Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- Pie crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (156g);
1 teaspoon sugar;
1/2 teaspoon salt;
1/2 cup cold butter cut into cubes;
3-4 tablespoons cold water;
2 cups coconut milk * (higher fat, canned milk will give the best flavor and texture);
1/2 cup granulated sugar;
3 large eggs;
3 tablespoons corn starch;
1 teaspoon coconut extract;
1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- Pie crust
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until you see pea-sized chunks of butter remaining.
- Gradually add in cold water, stirring each time until you can press it together.
- Form it into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or freeze for 30 minutes until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out to fit a 9″ pie plate.
- Press into the pie plate and up the sides. Try to get as high up the sides as you can as the pie crust may shrink when it bakes. Trim the edges and crimp or leave as desired. Poke the bottom and the sides with a fork all over to help prevent puffing (or use pie weights if you have them).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown. Set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, eggs, and corn starch in a large saucepan. Whisk thoroughly until combined.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until very thick. This can take up to 10 or 15 minutes — be patient! You don’t want to increase the heat too much and risk a lumpy filling.
- Pour into cooled pie crust and press a piece of parchment paper on to the top. Refrigerate until well chilled, or overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut as desired and serve.
- Calories: 372cal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 278mg | Potassium: 167mg | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 3.1mg