These cookies have a long and storied history that begins in the early 1900s. In those days, they were known as “mounds” and were made with chocolate, coconut, and peanuts. In 1946, the recipe was changed to include almonds, and they were renamed “Almond Joy Cookies.” The cookies enjoyed a period of popularity in the 1970s when they were featured in commercials with the slogan, “Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t.”
Today, Almond Joy Cookies are enjoyed by people worldwide and are a popular choice for bake sales and cookie exchanges.
I’m excited to share this recipe for Almond Joy Cookies with you! These cookies are my absolute favorite, and I know you’ll love them too. In this post, I’ll share everything you need to know about this recipe, from the ingredients to the cooking method. I’ll also answer some of the people’s most common questions about making these cookies. So whether you’re a first-time baker or a seasoned pro, you’ll find everything in this post.
Recipe Ingredients and Cooking Instruments
In this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature – 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
In addition to the ingredients, you will need the following kitchen tools:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A large mixing bowl
- An electric mixer (or a bowl and a whisk)
- A rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- A small cookie scoop (optional)
Step-by-Step Procedure to Make the Best Almond Joy Cookies
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a separate bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips, almond extract, and shredded coconut. The dough will be very thick. Use a spoon or your hands to form the dough into balls. Place the dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat and press them down slightly.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown and set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Tricks to Make Perfect Almond Joy Cookies Every Time
Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned to make perfect almond joy cookies every time:
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature before beginning. This will help the cookies spread evenly and prevent them from being too dry.
- Preheat your oven before beginning to a cookie, so they cook evenly throughout.
- Use a fork to press the dough into the pan before baking evenly. This will help prevent them from spreading too much and becoming misshapen.
- Be careful not to overbake the cookies. They should be golden brown but still soft to the touch.
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Almond Joy Cookies
Do I need to use a stand mixer, or can I mix the dough by hand?
You can mix the dough by hand, but a stand mixer gives the cookies a more consistent texture.
Can I use almond extract instead of vanilla extract?
Absolutely! Almond extract gives these cookies a more authentic Almond Joy flavor.
Can I use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips?
Yes, you can use milk chocolate chips, but I prefer dark chocolate because it pairs better with the almond flavor.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe for almond joy cookies! If you have any questions or tips, leave them in the comments below. And if you’re looking for more great cookie recipes, be sure to check out our website. Happy baking!
Easy Almond Joy Cookies Recipe
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour (1 cup plus two tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (1 stick)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (shredded coconut)
3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In small bowl whisk to combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using mixer cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and egg and mix just until incorporated. Slowly blend the dry mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, coconut flakes and sliced almonds.
- Using 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop drop by rounded spoonfuls onto parchment covered cookie sheets. Bake for 9-12 minutes. Allow to cool for ten minutes before moving to cookie cooling racks.